Wilmington Academy students from years 11, 12 and 13 recently benefited from a careers presentation by Kosar Akram and Tom Rackham of Balfour Beatty.
As graduate engineers, Kosar and Tom began by charting their own career progressions. Secondly, explaining that Balfour Beatty are currently working locally on the Thames Estuary Asset Management 2100 project on behalf of the Environment Agency, they gave an overview of their weekly tasks as contractors on this scheme.
Balfour Beatty roles
A summary of roles within Balfour Beatty include:
- Project Manager
- Public Liaison/Stakeholder Management
- Site support
The major benefits in working for a company such as Balfour Beatty are:
- The opportunity to work on different schemes in differing locations
- A rapidly changing environment
- Support and personal development
- Good earning potential and benefits
- Networking with a range of professionals
- Rewarding to work on projects that matter
Kosar and Tom touched upon current apprenticeship opportunities available to those over 18.
Students were highly engaged and asked many questions of our guests.