Year 13 students from The Leigh Academy who are looking to secure an apprenticeship when they leave benefitted recently from a visit by Victoria Lawrence of the Education People.
The group began by taking part in a workshop where Victoria ran over many important aspects of apprenticeships:
- Myth busting
- Where are apprenticeships available and in what sectors
- The benefits of doing an apprenticeship- earn whilst you learn
- Levels of apprenticeships
- A balanced comparison of university and an apprenticeship
- How to apply/find an apprenticeship
- Websites/apply – need to research
- The importance of preparation in applications
- Remember that an employer is investing in you- show maturity, soft skills , work readiness
- Carefully read the application criteria-an application should be well written, using the correct wording including key words and grammar
- How to show skills- dedication, reliability
- Extra activities- IE showing people around, representing school, participation in the recent Skills 30:30 event
Moving on, students then split into two groups and logged into national apprenticeship websites with Victoria advising each student on a one to one basis on their areas of specific interest and applications.
Many students commented on how useful they had found this session. Our sincere thanks go to Victoria.