The Leigh UTC recently hosted its second annual awards evening. The event has become a highlight of the calendar for The Leigh UTC and is becoming increasingly popular, attracting a higher number of business participants from last year’s inaugural event.
Proceedings were chaired by governor, Clive Barker, Chairman of CSB Logistics, with keynote speaker, Stewart Harris, a war veteran who talked about his experiences and how he overcame adversity.
Dean Horobin-Wright, whose company, Cubic Transportation Ltd sponsored one of the awards, commented “On behalf of all my colleagues at CUBIC can I extend our thanks after attending a wonderful dinner last night. The whole occasion from start to finish was inspirational, the trophies were amazing and I managed to speak to more than one winner. In particular I enjoyed the talk given by Stewart Harris. Please give our warmest thanks to all the staff involved in making it a wonderful evening.”
As a college specialising in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) subjects, this is the opportunity to recognise the outstanding achievements of students.
Cucina, Leigh Academies Trust’s catering contractor supplied an amazing three course meal. The evening’s photography was undertaken by Pete Bresser of Bresser Photography and Digital Media (https://www.bresserphotos.com).
Superb trophies were manufactured for the evening by Kenard Engineering.
The 2016 award winners were:
- STEM Year 10 Male – Aiden Grover, sponsored by Cubic (https://www.cubic.com/)
- STEM Year 10 Female – Morgan Stansell, sponsored by Lee Evans Partnership (https://www.lee-evans.co.uk/)
- STEM Year 12 Male – William Fifield, sponsored by Bam Construction (https://www.bam.co.uk/)
- STEM Year 12 Female – Emma Land, sponsored by Kenard Engineering (https://kenard.com/)
- Engineering Year 10 – Connor Howell, sponsored by SEM (https://www.sem.co.uk/)
- Engineering Year 12 – George Smith, sponsored by 8Point3 LED (https://8point3led.co.uk/)
- Computer Science Year 10 – Connor Edwards, sponsored by Briar Associates (https://www.briarassociates.co.uk/)
- Computer Science Year 12 – Ryan Crane, sponsored by DMA (https://www.dma-group.co.uk/)
- Enterprise Year 12 – Huw Prosser, sponsored by CSB logistics (https://www.csblogistics.com/)
- Ambassador Award – Daniel Quinn, sponsored by Cleantec (https://www.cleantecservices.co.uk/)
- Outstanding Achievement Year 10 – Sophie Webb, sponsored by Eurostar (https://www.eurostar.com/)
- Outstanding Achievement Year 12 – Matthew Nutter, sponsored by Leigh Academies Trust (https://www.leighacademiestrust.org.uk/)
The Leigh UTC values the participation of its many business partners; in fact, links to industry are very much at the heart of every aspect of education at the college. The winner of the first Business Partner of the Year Award was presented by Simon Beamish, CEO of Leigh Academies Trust to Kenard Engineering’s Managing Director, Keith Ellis. This award was sponsored by Leigh Academies Trust in recognition of the outstanding contribution of this business in supporting The Leigh UTC.
Simon Beamish said: “The awards evening was another magnificent event for the UTC and the Trust. It recognised another year of high achievements when The Leigh UTC became the top performing UTC nationally based on the main government measure of Progress 8.”
Steve Leahey, Principal at The Leigh UTC commented: “I am amazed by the continued support we receive from our partners and this is particularly shown by their contribution to the awards evening. It truly a special event where students, their families, staff and sponsors can share in the successes of the college. It makes me proud to be part of The Leigh UTC.”
Keith Ellis, Managing Director at Kenard Engineering commented “The awards evening was a wonderful opportunity to bring together students, staff, parents and local businesses to celebrate the continued success of the school and its students. Kenard Engineering is proud to be working with The Leigh UTC. The Awards Evening is yet another example of how well they do things!”
A silent auction was held during the evening resulting in an amazing total of over £19,000 being raised towards various additional extracurricular projects for the college. Sincere thanks to all who generously participated to support learning at The Leigh UTC.
Quotes from other attendees:
“I really feel honoured to be working with you and the Leigh UTC once again. Thanks again wonderful evening.” Chris Burden, Construction Manager – South East, Bam Construction.
“We had the privilege of sponsoring both a table and one of the student awards. It was inspiring to witness first hand your young people being recognised in such a professional and complementary way for their achievements.” Steve McGregor, Group Executive Director, DMA Group.
“Thank you very much for an enjoyable evening at UTC last night. It was a very well organised event and extremely impressive for the students to receive their awards on the night at such a professional dinner. Also, lovely to see the picture of Daniel’s award on the mantelpiece – a great student, full of life, which is wonderful to see. We look forward to sponsoring next year’s event”. Suzanne Couch, Regional Manager, Cleantec.